College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2021-2022
What Can I Do with a Minor in Advertising?
You will learn about advertising in the broader context of communication for marketing activities, how and why advertising works, and will study the applied aspects of writing advertising copy and developing advertising strategy. A minor in Advertising will provide you a valuable perspective in a variety of advertising and media-related fields.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Public relations Sales
- Social work
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
Advertising emphasizes the use of paid media in communication efforts and will often focus on specific calls to action. Advertising focuses on communicating the values of a client organization to important publics in an effort to promote the client’s product, service or event or publicize other important information. Students completing this minor will apply important concepts and skills in advertising to their major field of interest. Students will produce communication material and develop skills in audience analysis necessary for developing and implementing advertising campaigns appropriate for a variety of situations. Students learn techniques demanded by industry to be competitive in today’s job market, yet recognize the social and cultural implications that their work has on our broader society.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students pursuing an Advertising minor will focus on the display of tightly controlled messages through the use of paid media. They will develop conceptual, practical and analytical skills relevant to advertising.
- In the conceptual sphere, students will describe typical strategies for segmenting audiences and delivering targeted messages through paid media.
- In the practical sphere students will master communication software and apply design standards to comprehensive communication efforts.
- In the analytical sphere students will use industry-standard research tools to identify target audiences and appropriate media channels for reaching them. They will formulate paid communications and measure the effectiveness and efficiency of those plans through the application of best industry practices.
Take the following 18 units, with a Grade of "C" or better and a minimum GPA of 2.5:
This minor is not available to students pursuing the Strategic Communication BS, Advertising Emphasis.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site