Biological and Ecological Sciences, Bachelor of Science
Arts and Sciences
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's diversity, liberal studies, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
The full policy can be viewed here.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 66 units of major requirements
- Up to 9 units of liberal studies requirements can have the same prefix as the major. For this major the prefixes include BSC and BIO.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 125|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Take the following 66 to 71 units including 40 units of Biological Science or biology-related courses with Grade of "C" or better.
Biology core courses (19-20 units):
- BIO 181, BIO 181L, BIO 182, BIO 182L (8 units)
- BSC 350, BSC 350L (4 units)
- BSC 408, or BSC 485 (3 units)
- BSC 460, BSC 460L, or CHM 360, CHM 460L (4-5 units)
- Any 100 to 200-level BIO course except BIO 100 or any BIO recitation
- Any BSC course except BSC 310
- Up to 6 units from BSC 497
- Up to 6 units of non-BSC or non-BIO prefix courses from the following: PSY 320, PSY 350, PSY 355, PSY 370, PSY 432
Physical Science Foundation:
Select one of the following math combinations:
- PHY 111, PHY 112 (8 units)
- PHY 161, PHY 262, PHY 262L. If choosing to complete this sequence, then PHY 263 is recommended. (8 units)
Additional coursework is required if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any of the academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. You may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.
We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.