Bilingual Endorsement - Arizona Department of Education, Endorsement
Department of Educational Specialties
College of Education
After you have completed the appropriate courses, you can obtain the endorsement by applying directly to the Arizona Department of Education. Individuals who have the Arizona Bilingual Education Endorsement are also approved to teach English as a second language.
After you have completed the appropriate courses, you can obtain the endorsement by applying directly to the Arizona Department of Education. Please be aware that to receive an endorsement, you must also be certified to teach elementary, secondary, or special education; the endorsement alone does not certify you to teach in Arizona. Please note that all endorsements are granted through the Arizona Department of Education.
Visit the Arizona Department of Education Educator Certification website for more information and access to the applications for endorsements.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||21|
Prepares student for Arizona Endorsement.
|Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching||Optional|
Arizona Endorsement Requirements
Take the following 21 units:
- BME 531 (3 units)
The practicum experience may be waived by documenting two years of certified teaching experience in a bilingual setting.
Additional Requirement for those seeking this endorsement on a special-education certificate:
- Complete an additional 3 units in ESE 520
- Proficiency in a spoken language other than English, verified by the language department of an accredited institution
- A passing score on the Arizona Classroom Spanish Proficiency Examination approved by the State Board of Education
- A passing score on the Navajo Language Test
- Verification of proficiency in a single language by NAU's Department of Modern Languages
- Verification of proficiency in an American Indian language, signed by an official designated by the appropriate tribe