Online, Statewide, and Education Innovation2021-2022
Public Administration and Justice Studies
Criminal Justice Administration, Undergraduate Certificate
The Criminal Justice Administration certificate allows current or aspiring police leaders to gain the necessary skills to effectively lead in the current police environment. Courses focus on connecting leadership theory to practice, employment law, contemporary criminal justice issues, cultural diversity, and ethics.
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Criminal Justice Administration?
To effectively lead in law enforcement, it is essential to have a solid practitioner background and an understanding of core leadership skills. The Criminal Justice Administration certificate is designed to provide current and aspiring police leaders with this essential knowledge, thereby paving the way for a positive promotional process and success as a police leader.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
Students with the necessary practitioner experience and the Criminal Justice Administration certificate can pursue the following career opportunities:
- Supervisor in law enforcement, the courts and corrections
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
|Some online/blended coursework||Required|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will:
- Understand the ethical issues facing police leaders.
- Develop a style of leadership that adheres to the current theories and principles of effective leadership.
- Apply ethical and leadership theories to practical police situations.
- Understand the employment law issues that affect police leaders, and be able to lead according to the current laws in the field.
- Have the ability to lead in a culturally diverse profession.
- Be knowledgeable of the current police issues.
Take the following 15 units:
- JUS 411, JUS 450 (6 units)
- Select 2 courses from the following Criminal Justice Practice Courses (6 units):
- Select 1 course from the following Criminal Justice Theory Courses (3 units):
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site