Civil Engineering, Minor
Department of Civil Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 - 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than fifty percent of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||19|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 137|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation, students will have developed the following:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- An ability to communicate effectively;
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and society context;
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- A knowledge of contemporary issues;
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Take the following 19 units:
Select courses from two of the following elective blocks (12 units):
*Environmental engineering majors taking this minor must choose two blocks from the structural, geotechnical or transportation blocks.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.
Course prerequisites must be completed with a Grade of "C" or better prior to taking these courses.