Early Childhood Education, Undergraduate Certificate

Department of Teaching and Learning

College of Education

The undergraduate Certificate in Early Childhood Education is offered by the Department of Teaching and Learning.

  • To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.

    Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.

In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 37
Additional Admission Requirements Required
Fieldwork Experience/Internship Required
Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching Required

Additional Admission Requirements
  • Individual program admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.

Certificate Requirements
  • Take the following 37 units:

    • ECI 305 (3 units)
    • ECI 308 (1 unit)
    • ECI 312, ECI 313, ECI 314, ECI 315 (12 units)
    • ECI 408 (3 units)
    • ESE 436 (3 units)
    • Select one: ECI 311, ECI 316 (3 units)
    • You must also student teach in a K-3 setting. Your student teaching for the Early Childhood Education Certificate meets the student teaching requirements for the B.S. Ed. Elementary degree. (12 units)
  • If you are majoring in elementary education, you can count this certificate as a concentration toward your degree requirements.

    The Early Childhood Education Certificate coursework can also be taken by in-service teachers with degrees in elementary education who wish to become certified in birth through grade 3 to gain that endorsement through the Arizona Department of Education.

  • This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.