College of Arts and Letters2017-2018
Department of English
What Can I Do with a Minor in English?
You'll enjoy the English department for many reasons--outstanding faculty, a wide range of courses, and more. Our friendly, mountain-town setting gives you the support you need to succeed. You can focus on creative writing, English education, general English studies, linguistics, literature, technical writing, or rhetoric.
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||21|
Take the following 21 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
- 3 units of ENG coursework at any level
- 6 units of ENG coursework at the 200 level or above
- 9 units of 300-400 level ENG coursework
- One 400-level ENG capstone course (3 units)
Select one course from at least three of the following four areas (9 units). Please note: You may count only one 100-level course toward this requirement.
- Literature courses: ENG 130, ENG 230, ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 242, ENG 243, ENG 245, ENG 247, ENG 253, ENG 261, ENG 266, ENG 358, ENG 364W, ENG 368,
- Rhetoric courses: ENG 110, ENG 210, ENG 211, ENG 218, ENG 305W, ENG 310W, ENG 313W
- Creative Writing courses: ENG 270, ENG 271, ENG 272
- Linguistics courses: ENG 121, ENG 220, ENG 223, ENG 308, ENG 321
At least 12 units of upper division coursework for this minor must be taken at NAU.
Before graduating, you must complete two 3-unit courses, one in ethnic diversity and one in global awareness. You may be able to use English courses to fulfill Northern Arizona University's diversity requirements and requirements for this minor. Please use the course search in the academic catalog for a list of approved diversity courses.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site