College of Arts and Letters2019-2020
Department of English
What Can I Do with a Minor in English?
You'll enjoy the English department for many reasons--outstanding faculty, a wide range of courses, and more. Our friendly, mountain-town setting gives you the support you need to succeed. You can focus on creative writing, English education, general English studies, linguistics, literature, technical writing, or rhetoric.
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||21|
The minor in English introduces students to various approaches to the English language across the disciplines of Literature, Creative Writing, Rhetoric, and Applied Linguistics.
At the completion of the minor, students will have attained the high-level literacy skills and have practiced the research methods necessary to compete in graduate and professional schools, and to succeed in the workplace.
In the English minor, students have opportunities to develop an understanding of the close weave of logical thought and effective expression, to strive for more persuasive or creative uses of English, to cultivate knowledge and appreciation of literature from a variety of perspectives and cultures, to understand the structure of English and a range of issues related to its learning and use, and to recognize the global contexts of English. The English Minor can thus help students prepare themselves to become productive, responsible members of the communities in which they live and work
Minors in English are encouraged to discuss upper-division courses with advisors in order to shape the program of study best suited to each student’s interests and long-term plans.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the English minor will demonstrate:
- knowledge of language as a system, as well as knowledge about language change and variation over time and across demographics, cultures, and geographies,
- an understanding of how effective writers and speakers adapt language to various purposes, and will show in their own work a knowledge of the operation of discourse features such as rhetorical situation, performative language, style, and diction, and the operation of different kinds of literacy,
- an understanding of both emergent and established literary traditions, periods, and genres
- knowledge of basic concepts and terminology in the study of literature, linguistics, rhetoric, and creative writing,
- knowledge of appropriate traditions and histories across the range of disciplines that make up the study of English, including literary and creative genres, disciplinary-specific canons, practical and professional writing formats and genres, types of rhetorical discourse, types of linguistic phenomena, and media/web format genres as they emerge.
Take the following 21 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Select one course from each of the following four areas (12 units):
- Literature courses: ENG 230, ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 242, ENG 243, ENG 245, ENG 247, ENG 253, ENG 261, ENG 266
- Rhetoric courses: ENG 110, ENG 210, ENG 211, ENG 218
- Creative Writing courses: ENG 270, ENG 271, ENG 272
- Linguistics courses: ENG 121, ENG 220, ENG 223
- Additional 300-level ENG coursework (6 units)
- Additional 400-level ENG coursework (3 units)
At least 9 units of upper-division coursework for this minor must be taken at NAU.
You may be able to use the following English courses to fulfill Northern Arizona University's diversity requirements and requirements for this minor.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site