College of the Environment, Forestry, and Natural Sciences2018-2019
Fire Ecology and Management, Undergraduate Certificate
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Fire Ecology and Management?
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will have:
- An understanding of the physical process of fire and factors that influence surface and crown fire spread, extreme fire behavior and what fire danger rating is.
- An understanding and the basic use of terminology and fire models used in fire management
- An understanding of fire regimes and fire effects in a variety of ecological systems
- An understanding of the philosophical, historical, legal, ecological, social and cultural aspects of land management and how that relates to fire management.
- An understanding of monitoring, the adaptive management process, and the components of a monitoring program.
- An understanding of sampling, variation, standard deviation, p-values and hypothesis testing
- An understanding of different types of experiments, independence, confounding factors and the basics of experimental design
- An understanding of different sampling methods and different federal fire monitoring programs
Take at least 15 units from the following with a Grade of "C" or better in each course (or "Pass" in Pass/Fail courses):
Introductory Course (3 Units)
- FOR 251 This requirement may be waived for students with 4 or more seasons of professional wildland fire experience.
Ecology, Select One (3 units):
* Prerequisite: enrollment in Forestry Federal Agency Training Group Status (FFAT)
** Forestry Majors may not use FOR 360 to fulfill the Management, Planning, and Policy Block.
A minimum of 9 units of coursework must be taken at Northern Arizona University.
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site