International Communication, Minor

School of Communication

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

This minor adds a useful synergy to a variety of majors, since it includes not only coursework in cultural diversity, but also via approved international exchanges.

  • A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.

    To receive a minor (18 - 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.

In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

No more than fifty percent of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.

Minimum Units for Completion 18 - 24
Major GPA C
Additional Admission Requirements Required
Study Abroad Optional

Additional Admission Requirements
  • To participate in the international component of this minor, you must:

    • Have earned at least sophomore status with a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5  
    • Have completed COM 101 and COM 200 (the 6-unit communication core) with grades of "C" or better
    • Meet the standards established by NAU's Center for International Education for participating in an international exchange plan
    • Apply and be approved for admission to an international exchange plan sanctioned by NAU's School of Communication
    Exchange opportunities for this minor include programs in communication campaigns, international public relations, media program management, media marketing, imagineering, and interactive multimedia concept development. Other programs may be accepted. See a School of Communication international minor advisor for information about specific study abroad programs that you may use to complete this minor.

Minor Requirements
  • Please note that you must consult with your academic advisor and the Office of International Studies before embarking on a Study Abroad plan. In addition, you must have approval to transfer study abroad credits into COM 223 and COM 323 before engaging in a Study Abroad plan.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.