Interdisciplinary Studies - Emergency Management 90-30, Bachelor of Science
Public Administration and Justice Studies
This flexible bachelor's degree offers you an opportunity to design a plan of studies, in consultation with an advisor, to meet your individual educational needs. You may choose this degree if you plan to enter an occupation that requires a broad general education, if you are seeking career advancement or personal intellectual enrichment, or if you are considering a preprofessional plan.
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- To avoid any deficiencies or risk having to take more than 120 units of credit to complete this degree, a completed associate's degree from a community college AND an Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) from a regionally accredited community college in Arizona are highly recommended.
- Students with a completed associate's degree and an AGEC will have met the 35 units of liberal studies requirements; however, students without an AGEC certification will need to meet the Northern Arizona University liberal studies requirements.
- Students may transfer up to a maximum of 90 units of community college and/or university credit from regionally accredited institutions of higher education.
- Students must complete at least 30 upper-division units of coursework. All coursework in the specialization Area must be upper-division and from Northern Arizona University. Substitutions and use of credit from other institutions are not allowed in the specialization.
- Students must have a grade of "C" or better in all courses used in the major, which includes the specialization and the interdisciplinary studies requirements areas.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- To be admitted to the 90-30 program in Emergency Management, you must have completed the equivalent of at least 15 units of community-college coursework in the Emergency Services or Emergency Management fields.
Liberal Studies Requirement
- Students with a completed AGEC from Arizona Community Colleges will have met the 35 units of liberal studies requirements.
- Students transferring into this program from California may meet NAU's liberal studies requirements by completing an IGETC at a California Community College. Please contact an advisor for more information.
- You can include courses with the course prefixes used in your specialization to satisfy liberal studies requirements, although you can't use the specific courses from your specialization.
All coursework in the Specialization Areas must be upper-division and from Northern Arizona University. Substitutions and use of credit from other institutions are not allowed in the Specialization.
Take the following 30 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Emergency Management Specialization
Interdisciplinary Studies Requirements
Computer Literacy (6 units)
This coursework must help you to understand, in general, the technical components of computers and information systems, how to solve problems using information systems technology, word processing, spreadsheet use, database management, graphic information software, website development, graphic design and use of statistical analysis software. Course(s) must have been taken within 10 years of admission to Northern Arizona University subject to advisor approval.
Communication Courses (6 units)
You must choose 6 units in the following two categories.
- Performance-based courses, select one from the following (3 units):
- Theory-based courses, select one from the following (3 units):
Please note that you cannot use CLEP or locally prepared exams to satisfy this requirement. Transfer credit used to satisfy this requirement must be approved by the program director.
Science Requirement, select from the following (12 units):
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.