Strategic Leadership, Undergraduate Certificate
According to Gallup's yearly survey on workforce satisfaction, there is an issue with employee engagement across the globe. 83% are disengaged at their jobs and developing more effective leaders can help alleviate this trend. Our goal should be to reduce this to a commonplace fallacy. The Strategic Leadership Certificate provides a new option for students to earn a certificate pursuant to completing their Strategic Leadership bachelor's degree. It also provides opportunities for those in for-profit and non-profit organizations who might already have a degree but want to invest in their career by becoming more aware of the best practices of high-performing leaders. This certificate will provide many knowledge experts in their field with the tools to be more effective at leading their teams. Working adults don't necessarily have the time or means to complete a four-year degree, so it is our duty to provide an option that is both practical and affordable. This certificate is a great option to help change the trajectory toward more purposeful leadership across all industries.
This supports NAU's interest in programs for working adults, creates a micro-credential that stacks toward a degree, and increases appeal to a non-traditional student population.
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion
|Some online/blended coursework
The purpose of the Strategic Leadership Certificate is to fill a void in today's leadership shortcomings and enhance the attitude, behaviors, and overall mindset of individuals looking to heighten their managerial and leadership skillset by utilizing a variety of tools that are critical to success in today's organizations. A critical part of this certificate is participating actively as opposed to passively, through individual and team projects, case studies, course discussions, and the acute selection of supporting trade books whose authors are experts in their areas of leadership.
The certificate will prepare and support participants in their current job and/or for jobs in fields related to supervision and management in a wide variety of occupations and careers in the public and private sectors. This can include government and non-profit organizations; small and privately owned businesses; consulting and financial firms; hospitality/service and manufacturing; and other related businesses.
Each of the five courses is designed around real-world situations including how higher-level thinking applies with respect to leading highly-effective teams in innovation and change, understanding the financial implications of making decisions, how strategy and competition drive results, and how all of this relates to a purpose-driven culture.
The certificate includes a balanced blend of theory and pragmatic approach where students will have learned how to apply leadership concepts in a wide range of diverse situations. This certificate fits sensibly well within organizations looking to shift their leadership's way of thinking and improve organizational results and measured success.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Articulate the differences between leadership and management and the purpose of each.
- Explore and self-assess their leadership style for growth, review a variety of leadership types, and analyze how each impacts their peer groups.
- Articulate elements of leadership and management that comprise and drive culture and select appropriate styles for the situation.
- Utilize a wide range of proven leadership concepts and tools from experts and practitioners from multiple industries.
- Identify active and cultural inertia and the complacency that hinders an organization's ability to innovate and change.
- Explore a variety of strategies that are used in creating both innovation and change, and practice implementing the tools to promote understanding and usefulness.
- Analyze accounting data to make informed business decisions, both in the short term and the long term.
- Create reports analyzing the health of the operations within a company.
- Integrate the best thinking of experts in their field of strategic decision-making and business strategy into their strategic planning approaches.
- Apply theories and concepts for effective decision-making to obtain positive/desired outcomes.
- Examine multiple toolsets and then selectively apply them to create effective project outcomes.
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.