Applied Science - Public Administration, Bachelor of Applied Science
Public Administration and Justice Studies
If you have completed or will complete an associate degree from a community college, you may pursue this bachelor's degree.
Our goal in offering the B.A.S. degree is to provide you with a general knowledge of management, organizational, and policy issues and to advance your communication, computer, and quantitative skills. This degree also offers you the opportunity to complete a specialization that will broaden your career horizons, promote life-long learning, and enrich your life. Northern Arizona University offers this degree at selected campuses throughout Arizona.
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
The full policy can be viewed here.
In addition to University Requirements:
- 64 units in an associate's degree transfer block (If you have been awarded an A.A.S. degree from an Arizona community college, NAU will accept up to 75 transfer units.)
- At least 18 units of B.A.S. Requirements
- 27 units of Specialization Requirements
- Completion of NAU Liberal Studies Requirements, some of which may be fulfilled by your associate's degree courses.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- To be admitted into a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) plan, you must have an associate's degree, either completed or in progress, at a regionally accredited institution and the associate's degree must be completed prior to the awarding of the BAS degree.
Liberal Studies Requirement
- Please note that you may use the same course to satisfy both a liberal studies and a B.A.S. Requirement.
- You can include courses with the course prefixes used in your specialization to satisfy liberal studies requirements, although you can't use the specific courses from your specialization.
- Students with a completed AGEC from Arizona Community Colleges will have met the 35 units of liberal studies requirements.
- Students transferring into this program from California may meet NAU's liberal studies requirements by completing an IGETC at a California Community College. Please contact an advisor for more information
Associate Degree Transfer Block
- 64 units in an associate's degree transfer block. If you have been awarded an AAS degree from an Arizona community college, NAU will accept up to 75 transfer units.
B.A.S. Requirements (18 units)
This coursework is designed to help you acquire a general knowledge of management, organizational, and policy issues while advancing your professional communication, computer, and quantitative skills. Some departments may require that you take specific courses from the B.A.S. Requirements or may place other restrictions on the courses that the department requires. Please see departmental requirements for specific information. Other courses may be used to fulfill the B.A.S. Elective requirements.
Communication Block (6 units)
- ENG 302W or ENG 305W (3 units)
- Select one: CST 314, CST 315, CST 424, CST 465, CST 472, CST 475, CST 477 (3 units)
- PADM 411 (3 units)
- Select one: BBA 340, BIO 301, BIO 302, CCJ 315, CCJ 325, CCJ 355, CCJ 380, HUM 371, HUM 373, MAT 114, MGT 303, POS 344, POS 359, SOC 301, SOC 333, SOC 334, SOC 339, SOC 431, SOC 441, STA 270
As noted abovein the B.A.S. Requirements, students in the Public Administration specialization are required to take PADM 411 from the Values block.
Public Administration Specialization Requirements (27 units)
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.