College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2019-2020

Department of Geography, Planning, and Recreation

Parks and Recreation Management, Undergraduate Certificate

If you are currently working in the parks and recreation field and wish to strengthen your foundation in this area, NAU's professional undergraduate certificate coursework is designed to meet your needs.


What Can I Do with a Certificate in Parks and Recreation Management?

The Parks and Recreation Management (PRM) Certificate meets the needs of individuals currently working in the parks and recreation field who seek to strengthen their professional foundation or to satisfy continuing education requirements. The PRM Certificate provides an opportunity for individuals without a park and recreation background to achieve a sound academic foundation in this field. Should you choose to continue and pursue a degree in this field, the certificate coursework can be embedded into the Bachelor of Science in Parks and Recreation Management.

Note: For certificate programs, students must apply to Northern Arizona University Undergraduate or Graduate admissions prior to registering for courses. Please remember - the completion of this program does not automatically provide any form of teaching endorsement or certification in Arizona or elsewhere.

University Requirements

  • To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.

    Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.


In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 15
Major GPA 2.0
Fieldwork Experience/Internship Required


Certificate Requirements
  • Take the following 15 units with a minimum GPA of 2.0:

    Please note that all courses for this certificate are web-based.

  • This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate.  Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site