Communication Studies, Minor
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 - 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than fifty percent of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion
Student Learning Outcomes
- Relational literacy and communication: Students will develop an understanding of how human relationships are constructed, negotiated and maintained through communication.
- Professional identity: Students will develop an understanding of the ways communication defines and strengthens their ability to navigate organizational and occupational relationships.
- Culture and communication: Students will develop an understanding of the function of communication in the construction of diverse social, cultural and political identities.
- Inquiry and scholarship: Students will develop an understanding of and ability to apply research methods (quantitative, qualitative and critical) in multiple contexts of communication.
- Disciplinary identity: Students will develop an understanding of the evolution, status, and function of the communication field.
- Communication competencies: Students will demonstrate competence in oral and written communication.
- Theoretical and critical thinking: Students will develop the ability to critically analyze messages, identify and evaluate underlying assumptions, forms of reasoning, use of evidence and conceptual frameworks.
Take the following 21 units:
- CST 111, CST 151, (CST 201 or COM 200), CST 271 (12 units)
- Select, in consultation with a Communication Studies advisor, from the following (9 units):
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.