College of Health and Human Services2019-2020

Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders

Speech-Language Pathology Assistant, Undergraduate Certificate

Speech-Language communication disorders can arise in childhood, manifest in adulthood, or be caused by physical or internal trauma. Students in this certificate program will explore the broad scope of history, etiology, diagnosis, anatomy, physiology, and treatment as it pertains to the role of Speech-Language Pathology Assistant.


What Can I Do with a Certificate in Speech-Language Pathology Assistance?

This program, presented in conjunction with the College of Health Professions, offers classes in Speech-Language Pathology Assistance (SLPA) completely online. The SLPA certificate meets the minimum technical coursework requirements recommended by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Students must recognize that an academic certificate awarded by NAU following completion of required academic credits is not a license to practice as a speech language pathologist-assistant.  

University Requirements

  • To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.

    Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.


In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 21
Some online/blended coursework Required

This program may lead to licensure.


Certificate Requirements
  • This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate.  Under both circumstances, federal financial aid can be used for this certificate.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site