Strategic Communication, Bachelor of Science
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
This bachelor of science degree in Strategic Communication offers a strong core of advertising, public relations, and communication courses, to engage students in a variety of professional communication environments. Students may pursue one of three emphases to allow deeper skill mastery in advertising, merchandising, and public relations.
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Advertising - Emphasis
- Merchandising - Emphasis (ending Summer 2021)
- Public Relations - Emphasis
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's diversity, liberal studies, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
The full policy can be viewed here.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 42 units of major requirements
- Up to 9 units of major prefix courses may be used to satisfy Liberal Studies requirements; these same courses may also be used to satisfy major requirements.
- For this major the liberal studies prefixes include ADV, MER, or PR
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Take the following 42 units with a minimum GPA of 2.5:
- ADV 207 (3 units)
- COM 101, COM 200 with grades of "C" or better (6 units)
- CST 111 (3 units)
- PR 272, PR 373 (6 units)
- Select from: ADV 311W, MER 300W, PR 372W (3 units)
- Select from: ADV 411C, MER 490C, PR 471C (3 units)
Additional coursework is required if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any of the academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. You may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.
We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.