Arts and Sciences
Social Work, Bachelor of Arts in Social Work
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in Social Work?
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Child and family services
- Hospice social work
- Mental health
- Military/veteran's services
- International social work
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Policy analyst
- Agency administrator
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 56 units of major requirements
- Up to 9 units of liberal studies requirements can have the same prefix as the major. Contact the BASW program for information about liberal studies courses that are specific to this major.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- BASW 220 with a grade of "B" or better
- BASW Program Application
- 2.25 GPA Minimum
- 2 Personal References
- Personal/Professional Education Statement
- English and Math Foundations
Take the following 57 - 58 units:
Please note, you must earn a grade of "C" or better in all required Social Work core courses unless otherwise noted.
Professional Identity (15 units):
- SOC 353 (3 units)
- BASW 427 (3 units)
Select three courses from:
Engage, Assess, Intervene, Evaluate (9 units):
Please note that approval from an NAU Yuma/Extended Campus Advisor for the Social Work program is necessary for any courses not listed above.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site