College of Education2012-2013
Department of Educational Leadership
Educational Leadership - Principal K-12, Master of Education
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Educational Leadership - Principal K-12?
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Candidates in this program are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, and professional knowledge to be eligible to enter student teaching or internship placements. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in the following course(s):
|Minimum Units for Completion||36|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Arizona Certification/Endorsement||Prepares student for Arizona Certification and/or Endorsement.|
|Program of Study||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 36 units:
- EDR 610 (3 units)
- Select one course from: EDF 500, EDF 670, EDF 671, EDF 672, EDF 673, EDF 677 (3 units)
- EDL 600, EDL 622, EDL 623, EDL 625, EDL 627, EDL 635, EDL 650, EDL 662 (24 units)
- EDL 629 (3 units)
- EDL 696 (3 units)
Students must have a valid Arizona teaching certificate (including either BME 430 or BME 631) and 3 years of teaching experience before starting the internship.
Students must apply for graduation the term before they expect to do an internship.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- Apache Junction
- Bullhead City
- Communiversity @ Surprise
- East Valley
- Fort Defiance
- Keams Canyon
- Lake Havasu City
- North Valley
- Show Low
- Signal Peak
- Tuba City
- Tucson North
- Verde Valley
- West Valley