The W. A. Franke College of Business2012-2013
Finance, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
This program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Finance?
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Financial analyst
- Credit management
- Investment banking
- Portfolio management
- Personal financial planning
- Capital budgeting analyst
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Certified Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Corporate treasurer
- Financial planner
- Loan officer
- Portfolio manager
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 45 units of business core requirements
- At least 27 units of major requirements including 6 units of additional business courses, a certificate, or a minor
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a FIN prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 119|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Additional Fees/Program Fees||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Admission to Northern Arizona University qualifies you for admission into the preprofessional program in The W. A. Franke College of Business. You must meet the following requirements to enter our professional programs:
- If you have a 2.75 GPA in these courses and have satisfactorily completed Pathways activities designated by The W. A. Franke College of Business, we guarantee your acceptance into our professional program. If your average is less than a 2.75 but you have at least a 2.5 and have satisfactorily completed all designated Pathways activities, we admit you into the professional program on a space-available basis according to the rank order of your grade point average in these courses.
- If you are in the preprofessional program and have completed all required courses with "C" or better, but have a GPA in those courses that is below the acceptable grade point average for admission to the professional program, you may repeat up to two of the required courses in which you earned a "C" to meet the minimum GPA requirement. You may only repeat a required course in which you earned a grade of "C" one time.
Recommended Plan of Study for Freshmen and Sophomores
We recommend the following course sequence for your first four terms:
Please note that you should consider The W. A. Franke College of Business ethics requirement when selecting liberal studies courses.
- First-Term Units: MAT 114, CIS 120, NAU 100, Liberal Studies/ethics requirements, MGT 101 (16 units)
- Second-Term Units: ENG 105, MAT 119, ACC 205, Liberal Studies/ethics requirements (16 units)
- Third-Term Units: ACC 255, ECO 201, ECO 284, Liberal Studies/ethics requirements (15 units)
- Fourth-Term Units: ACC 256, ECO 285, Liberal Studies/ethics requirements, Liberal Studies Lab Science (16 units)
Business Core (45 units)
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in FIN 311 to continue as a Finance Major.
Major Courses (21 units)
These courses represent the General Academic Requirements (GAR) for The W. A. Franke College of Business. Some of these courses also fulfill liberal studies requirements; for information about the overlap between the GAR and liberal studies, consult an advisor in Room 222 of the college.
- A certificate plan within The W. A. Franke College of Business (15 units); or
- Obtain your advisor's approval to take: either 6 additional units of upper-division business courses; or a minor outside the FCB (18 units); or a certificate plan outside the FCB (15 units)
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
- That you must complete at least 15 units in your major and 9 units of the upper-division business core at The W. A. Franke College of Business (FCB).
- You must earn 50% of your overall business units required for your degree at the FCB.
- All transfer credits must be approved by the FCB and are subject to guidelines listed in the current general catalog. The FCB does not accept upper-division transfer credits from programs not accredited by the AACSB (such as the University of Phoenix or the Bachelor of Business Administration program at NAU-Yuma).
- Students who satisfy the junior writing requirement with ENG 302W (Technical Writing) must complete that course at Northern Arizona University.
- MGT 490C (Business Strategy) and the junior writing requirement, if filled by either MGT 350W or MGT 350IW (Business Communication), must also be completed at the FCB.
- Students earning two B.S.B.A. majors within The W. A. Franke College of Business must take 18 credit units in the first major and an additional 18 units exclusive to the second major (for a total of 36).
You must have completed all of the coursework used to fulfill these requirements within the last 10 years.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- PROGRAM FEE INFORMATION
Program fees are established by the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR). A program fee of $500 per year in students' Junior and Senior years has been approved for this program.
Go to mobile site