Human Resources, Minor
Online, Statewide, and Education Innovation
A student studying the Minor in Human Resources through Personalized Learning analyzes core elements and current case studies that apply to managing human capital. Students assimilate critical knowledge, skills and abilities required for success in managing employees in today’s global workforce. Topics include HR law, strategic recruitment/retention, total compensation, strategic/critical thinking and business planning, and employee training. The program focuses on current issues and theory-to-practice exercises to supplement the HR management skills of organizational managers or business owners.
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Review human resource management’s role in organizational training.
- Examine advanced concepts in employment law and regulatory environments.
- Evaluate strategic roles in human resource management.
- Assess effective total employee compensation plans.
- Analyze management principles from a global perspective.
- Engage in strategic, critical and innovative thinking.
- Recruit and manage talent as part of a strategic business plan.
Course Credit Earned - Minor Courses 18 units
- BBA 335 Human Resource Management (3 units)
- BBA 337 Employment Law (3 units)
- BBA 338 Training and Development (3 units)
- BBA 400 Advanced Global Management (3 units)
- BBA 427 Compensation and Benefits (3 units)
- MGMT 325 Fundamentals in Human Capital Management (3 units)
Students enrolled in this minor may not enroll in or pursue the following due to the number of overlapping units:
- Management, BA through Personalized Learning
- Management, BS through Personalized Learning
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your faculty mentor for details.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.