Restaurant Management, Undergraduate Certificate
Hotel and Restaurant Management
The W. A. Franke College of Business
This non-degree certificate is useful to individuals who are employed in the restaurant industry and are looking to gain knowledge that will aid in professional development in their current workplace.
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various components of systematic restaurant management.
- Describe the role of the menu as the foundation for control in a restaurant operation.
- Differentiate between the various styles of dining service.
- Describe the role of budget standards in planning and control and apply cost-volume-profit analysis to food and beverage operations
- Analyze the potential return on investment associated with implementing restaurant revenue management strategies.
- Develop the service techniques, food and beverage knowledge, and management skills required for a successful restaurant career.
- Develop a business plan and operational procedures for a restaurant operation.
- Demonstrate appropriate food planning, production, execution, and critique.
- Determine front and back of the house design and equipment selection based on the menu.
Take the following 15 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Select from the following (6 units):
To complete this certificate you must be a declared Hotel and Restaurant Management Major.
This certificate may only be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program. This certificate is not available as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.